Status changed from Open to Assigned
Assignee set to mame (Yusuke Endoh)

Feature #4057: FileUtils.copy with FIFOs and Special Devices

Author: runpaint (Run Paint Run Run)
Assignee: mame (Yusuke Endoh)
Category: lib
Target version:

=begin
 In http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/repositories/diff/ruby-19?rev=6747 support for copying FIFOs and special devices was added to FileUtils.copy, and the same code exists in trunk. It relies on the existence of File.mknod and File.mkfifo. According to git's "pickaxe", those methods have never existed. Various patches to add this functionality have been sent to ruby-core, but in http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/144168 matz rejected the idea. So, presumably, either these checks should be removed from FileUtils such that it raises an exception when a special device is encountered, or we should replace them with calls to the `mknod`/`mkfifo` commands. For me, the following just hangs:

   run@paint:~$ mkfifo fifo
   run@paint:~$ ruby -rfileutils -e 'FileUtils.copy("fifo", "lifo")'
=end

--