It wouldn't break backward compatibility, but it would take time for libraries to adjust to take the most advantage of it. And yet, any library with active development will likely adjust very quickly.

I would expect existing uses of warn to be set at "nominal priority" -- just below the error threshold. Although I imagine one could make the case that we should insert one priority layer between the two which would help make them a little more useful with libraries that haven't yet adjusted.

Feature #3916: Add flag to ruby to make warnings fatal.

Author: docwhat (Christian Höltje)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version:

=begin
 I have a feature request: Please add a flag to the ruby command line to make warnings fatal.

 It would be really handy when debugging and testing to make warnings fatal.

 It's not always obvious what bit of code is causing the code that has the warning to execute.  Having a full exception style trace back is very handy.

 In addition, if you're doing tests, it would be good to have it raise an exception if a warning is fired.  See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/660737/can-you-ask-ruby-to-treat-warnings-as-errors for an example.

 Thanks!
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/