On 19/03/12 23:24, Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Alex Young wrote:
>> On 19/03/12 11:58, Luis Lavena wrote:
<snip>
>>> $LOADED_FEATURES include full paths
>>
>> Does it?  Is that now part of the spec?
>
> Yes.

Fine. Close the issue, this feature isn't needed any more.  At the time
I was trying to get code together which would work on both 1.8 and 1.9
and, for a reason I cannot now fathom, thought this might be generally
viewed as a useful thing to have.

>> Neither rubinius nor jruby seem to make that guarantee,
>
> They do.
>
>> nor is it true for 1.8.7.
>
> 1.9.1, 1.9.2 and 1.9.3 have been released since 1.8.7, so I don't know why you would check 1.8.7 for new features.

Please don't be condescending.  If I don't know it's a new feature, how
do I know where to look for it?  If I don't know it's not an accidental
behaviour, how do I know it's guaranteed to be the same across 1.8.7
patch levels - the last of which is *well after* I opened this ticket?

>>   And if it is...
>>
>> $ irb
>> 1.9.3p125 :001>  $LOADED_FEATURES.first
>> =>  "enumerator.so"
>>
>> Is that a bug?
>
> I would argue no as enumerator.so is a dummy require:
>
>    rb_provide("enumerator.so");	/* for backward compatibility */
>
> to allow old 1.8 programs to continue to require 'enumerator' which is now built-in in ruby 1.9.

I'm not arguing that it's not useful.  I'm saying that it breaks the
guarantee you're saying $LOADED_FEATURES provides.

--
Alex