Issue #6123 has been updated by Vit Ondruch.

Could you please enlighten me what is the purpose of fake gem then? Even if you install updated BigDecimal from rubygems.org, the bundled version will won unless you use "gem 'bidgecimal'" somewhere in the code. This makes no sense.
Bug #6123: Properly gemify BigDecimal
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6123

Author: Vit Ondruch
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30) [x86_64-linux]

BigDecimal is available as a gem, however, the version in Ruby is crippled. It just tries to mimic gems, but it is not gem. So currently:

$ ruby -e "puts require('bigdecimal')"
true
$ ruby --disable-gems -e "puts require('bigdecimal')"
true

However, I would expect following behavior:

$ ruby -e "puts require('bigdecimal')"
true
$ ruby --disable-gems -e "puts require('bigdecimal')"
fail

The point is that the bigdecimal.so is still in Ruby's load path, although it should be managed by RubyGems if it is gem. Moreover, if the independent gem in RubyGems.org would be updated, it will never be used. Please consider fixing it.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/