Issue #6123 has been updated by Vit Ondruch.

Please note that I picked the BigDecimal just randomly. It applies to all other "gems" which are currently bundled in Ruby.
Bug #6123: Properly gemify BigDecimal
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6123

Author: Vit Ondruch
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30) [x86_64-linux]

BigDecimal is available as a gem, however, the version in Ruby is crippled. It just tries to mimic gems, but it is not gem. So currently:

$ ruby -e "puts require('bigdecimal')"
true
$ ruby --disable-gems -e "puts require('bigdecimal')"
true

However, I would expect following behavior:

$ ruby -e "puts require('bigdecimal')"
true
$ ruby --disable-gems -e "puts require('bigdecimal')"
fail

The point is that the bigdecimal.so is still in Ruby's load path, although it should be managed by RubyGems if it is gem. Moreover, if the independent gem in RubyGems.org would be updated, it will never be used. Please consider fixing it.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/