Issue #6087 has been updated by Thomas Sawyer.

> This has two problems:
> 1) It imposes an API on the constructor of subclasses (i.e. that they accept one parameter which would be an instance of the base class)
> 2) The builtin classes constructors doesn't even respect that, i.e.
>   Hash.new({1 => 2}).has_key?(1) # => false

You took me a bit too literally. I only meant it should be _equivalent_ too calling `self.class.new`. In other words, it should return an instance of the subclass, not the base class. I did not mean to imply the necessary use of the constructor in this way --which (perhaps unfortunately) is not possible in some notable cases, as you point out.

Bug #6087: How should inherited methods deal with return values of their own subclass?
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6087