Issue #5120 has been updated by Alexey Muranov.

I would like add a use case which may be not very useful, but in my opinion illustrates the issue well.

I wanted to normalize some mistyped email addresses in a database and i did like this (because i forgot about this issue):

email.split('@').map(&:strip).join('@')

This works for complete email address, but when i ran into

' sam @ '.split('@').map(&:strip).join('@') # => 'sam@'

but

'jim@'.split('@').map(&:strip).join('@') # => 'jim'

i decided to change to

email.split('@', -1).map(&:strip).join('@')

which does not make it more readable (sarcasm :-)).
Feature #5120: String#split needs to be logical
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5120