Issue #6070 has been updated by Shugo Maeda.

File for_loop_scope_fix_0224.diff added

Hi,

>  I agree with your opinion regarding the current side effect problems of
>  `for`.  I would love to see your patch in Ruby 2.0!

Thanks for your agreement:)

I've updated my patch, whose changes are:

* use NODE_MEMO to avoid memory leak when parsing of expr_value failed.
* removed unused code.
* fixed tests for new behavior of for expressions.
* fixed rss/parser.rb for new behavior of for expressions.

A good news is that rss/parser.rb is the only library affected by this change of for expressions.
The patch passes make test, and the result of test-all is 1F0E, which is the same as the version without the patch.

The version with the patch is a bit faster than the original version:

defiant:ruby$ time ruby-trunk -e 'for i in 1..10000000; end'
ruby-trunk -e 'for i in 1..10000000; end'  3.92s user 0.01s system 99% cpu 3.936 total
defiant:ruby$ time build/ruby-trunk -e 'for i in 1..10000000; end'
build/ruby-trunk -e 'for i in 1..10000000; end'  3.52s user 0.02s system 99% cpu 3.545 total

Feature #6070: The scope of for loop variables
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6070