Issue #6073 has been updated by Shugo Maeda.

Hi,

Shouichi KAMIYA wrote:
> I propose to extend syntax of for loop which allows us to write multiple loop with guard easily.
> This extension is inspired by Scala. Here is a example

I'm interested in your idea.
# Feature #6070 was preparation for the same proposal.

> for i in 1..4 when i % 2 == 0
>     j in 5..8 when j % 4 == 0
>   puts "#{i}, #{j}"
> end
>
> Above code is same as following code.
>
> for i in 1..4
>   if i % 2 == 0
>     for j in 5..8
>       if j % 4 == 0
>         puts "#{i}, #{j}"
>       end
>     end
>   end
> end

Scala's for expression is more powerful.
If yield in used in a for expression, nested loop is converted to a combination of map/flatMap/withFilter.

For example, the following code:

  for z in (1..Float::INFINITY).lazy
      x in 1..z
      y in x..z
      when x**2 + y**2 == z**2
    yield [x, y, z]
  end

is equivalent to the following code:

  (1..Float::INFINITY).lazy.flat_map {|z|
    (1..z).flat_map {|x|
      (x..z).select {|y|
        x**2 + y**2 == z**2
      }.map {|y|
        [x, y, z]
      }
    }
  }

Please note that yield is already take in Ruby, so we need different Syntax.

What do you think of that feature?

Feature #6073: Proposal of extending syntax of for loop
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6073

I propose to extend syntax of for loop which allows us to write multiple loop with guard easily.
This extension is inspired by Scala. Here is a example

for i in 1..4 when i % 2 == 0
    j in 5..8 when j % 4 == 0
  puts "#{i}, #{j}"
end

Above code is same as following code.

for i in 1..4
  if i % 2 == 0
    for j in 5..8
      if j % 4 == 0
        puts "#{i}, #{j}"

I already implemented this syntax and attached a patch.
What do you think about this syntax guys?

Thank you,
Shouichi

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/