Issue #6065 has been updated by Martin Bosslet.

Akira Tanaka wrote:
> 2012/2/23 Tanaka Akira <akr / fsij.org>:
>
>  > I think your proposal also rely on machine endianness because
>  > it use "long" type.
>  >
>  > I guess bytes in long type (4 bytes or 8 bytes in usual) is
>  > native endian.  Am I wrong?
>
>  Oops.  [ruby-core:42813] describes "where each of the longs
>  hemselves should probably be in the same order".
>
>  I think unsigned long should be used only for native endian.
>  unsigned char should be used instead for big- or little- endian data.
>  --

Yes, you're right, when using (unsigned) longs we have to pay
attention to byte order within the long itself or go through
the pain of normalizing them to some pre-defined order.

That's why I'm all for Yui's proposal now. As long as
sizeof(char) stays one byte, Yui's solution only requires
specifying the overall byte order once, if I'm not overlooking
something.

I can work around this currently by using for example hex
representations of the numbers for (un-)marshaling, but having
#bindump and #binload would make things a lot easier and more
efficient.

Would it be OK to add #bindump, #binload and rb_big_uminus
to the public API?

Feature #6065: Allow Bignum marshalling/unmarshalling from C API
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6065