Assignee changed from Yusuke Endoh to Nobuyoshi Nakada

Hello,

2012/2/14 Nobuyoshi Nakada <nobu / ruby-lang.org>:
> Isn't the flag of splatarray for this purpose?

I don't know.  Please go ahead.  You have control!

--
Yusuke Endoh <mame / tsg.ne.jp>
Feature #1125: [*x] (array consisting only of a splat) does not necessarily return a new array

Author: Daniel Luz
Assignee: Nobuyoshi Nakada
Category:
Target version: 2.0.0
ruby -v: ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [x86_64-linux]

=begin
 For [*x], these are basically the possible outcomes:

 1. if x is an Array, returns it unmodified.
 2. elsif x responds to to_ary (to_a on 1.9.1), invokes that method and returns its result unmodified.
 3. else, returns a new array with x as its only element.

 Cases #1 and #2 IMO violate the POLS, as I expected that an array literal would always return a new array. The practical consequence here is that I expected I'd be free to modify it without side effects. (For comparison, "#{x}" always returns a new string)

 Simple test case:
   x = [1, 2, 3]
   [*x] << 4
   p x # => [1, 2, 3, 4]

 Thus, I propose ensuring these two cases always return new arrays.
 One possible solution would be dup'ing the resulting array (I guess that'd have a rather low cost; the third case would result in an unnecessary dup, but at least it's just a single-item array). Another one would be to dumb down the interpreter, making it create a zero-length array and then concat the result of the splat to it.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/