Status changed from Assigned to Rejected

I'm rejecting this feature ticket because no progress has been
made for a long time.  See [ruby-core:42391].

This is indeed a hard issue.
There are two approaches to make it consistent:

  A) prohibit multiple appearances of one module in ancestors
  B) permit multiple appearances

I guess matz prefers A to B, so B will not be admissible.  (just
my guess, though)  The current behavior aims A, but is indeed
incomplete.

In casual use case, however, module inclusion is used statically,
i.e., used when a class is first defined.
Thus, no actual problem is caused in practical case, I think.

In addition, A will be very hard to implement completely.  Even
if it is possible, I'm afraid that the behavior will be bug-prone
(for both user code and ruby impl), because it means that an
already-included module may be later removed from ancestors,
unexpectedly.

Thus, I think that we can not fix this elegantly and will not
change the current behavior.  But we might have to do something
if there is any *concrete* scenario in that the current behavior
causes a trouble.  Let us know such a scenario if you have.

--
Yusuke Endoh <mame / tsg.ne.jp>
Feature #1586: Including a module already present in ancestors should not be ignored