Issue #3924 has been updated by satoshi shiba.

Luis Lavena wrote:
> satoshi shiba wrote:
> >
> > May I ask current status of this problem?
> > "rb_file_expand_path()" is still a bottleneck of "rb_require_safe()".
> > So, I'm interested in this problem.
> >
> > If memory leak is a problem, how about collecting strings at the time of mark phase.
> > I made a patch which is based on Shyouhei's patch to resolve memory leak.
> > A patch( https://gist.github.com/1805919 ) collects cached strings at the time of mark phase.
>
> Please see Feature #5767, proposed usage of cached expanded paths:
>
> https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5767

Thank you for telling me.
I have missed that ticket.

Bug #3924: Performance bug (in require?)
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/3924

Author: Carsten Bormann
Assignee: Yuki Sonoda
Category: core
Target version: 2.0.0
ruby -v: -

=begin
 Running irb < /dev/null in 1.9.2 causes 3016 calls to lstat64.

 For instance, there is a sequence of 28 repetitions each of lstat calls to all 6 non-empty path prefixes of /opt/local/lib/ruby1.9/1.9.1/irb.rb -- a total of 170 lstats apparently just to load this file; another set of lstats then occurs later for another 18 (times 6) times.  Clearly, something is running amok in the calling sequence rb_require_safe -> realpath_rec -> lstat.

 Another example: Running a simple test with the baretest gem causes 17008 calls to lstat.  According to perftools.rb, 80 % of the 1.2 seconds of CPU is used in Kernel#gem_original_require (and another 12 in GC, some of which may be caused by this).
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/