On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> In message "Re: The face of Unicode support in the future"
>     on Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:31:25 +0900, Mathieu Bouchard <matju / sympatico.ca> writes:
> |Another thing I don't understand. If the right definition of characters is
> |so application-dependent and so left to the user, why do you bother
> |changing the String class at all?
> To avoid a repeated implementation of character encoding scheme
> support.  Does it sound strange?

I have to admit that I'm not familiar at all with those issues, I just got
into Unicode stuff _only_ because I need to ensure sufficient
backwards-compatibility for my own programs, and I'd like to get back to
coding video effects actually. ;-)

For the rest of the debate, you may assume I always stand behind whatever
Christian Neukirchen says, unless if I explicitly say I don't for specific
points.

Mathieu Bouchard -=- Montr٬l QC Canada -=- http://artengine.ca/matju