On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Florian Gro? wrote:
> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> > Besides, characters in _my_ encoding would not fit in the range of
> > 0..255 anyway.
> (But I think that the unused bit in the Symbol namespace could be used
> for representing full UCS2 range, but that would mean enforcing a
> specific encoding for those immediate one-character Strings. And I
> think you would need full UCS4 range anyway. I'm not sure.)

Ok, I hadn't read this mail before my posting on using the Symbol section
of the VALUE space.

I don't know how much is really needed to support the full UCS4 range, but
if that's really 32 bits, it's not a problem not supporting it
completely. What is important is optimising for the common case, for which
even just 20 bits would be more than enough =) and the rest would be
non-immediate, just like Integer is split into Fixnum (the common
case) and Bignum (the rest of the general case).

Mathieu Bouchard -=- Montr?al QC Canada -=- http://artengine.ca/matju