> I'm not sure.  There's a quote that "premature optimization is the
> source of all evil".

BTW, another solution to the potential speed problems of a Character class
would be to optimise new/GC, which would benefit all of Ruby... because
already I would have trouble finding a real issue with the speed of text
processing in Ruby, but global optimisations can benefit most any program.

However I currently am not in need of optimising the GC speed nearly as
much as cutting on latency. I want to use Ruby in realtime situations (I
already am, but only soft realtime with big enough upper bounds), and as
far as I have noticed, the only thing helping me is Moore's Law. Have
there been any improvements wrt this in the last two years, that I might
not have noticed?

(I started Rubifying my video software in june 2002, though it took me
until july 2003 to figure out the stack_end bug...)

Mathieu Bouchard -=- Montr?al QC Canada -=- http://artengine.ca/matju