Issue #5617 has been updated by Vit Ondruch.

File Allow-to-install-RubyGems-into-custom-location-outsi.patch added

Yui NARUSE wrote:
> * Show standalone patch; a patch to previous patch is difficult to inspect

Here is the squashed version.

> * How will users use gems with this patched ruby?

There is no difference at all IMO.

Feature #5617: Allow install RubyGems into dediceted directory
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5617

Author: Vit Ondruch
Assignee: Eric Hodel
Category:
Target version:

Hello,

I would like to propose my patch, which allows to optionally install RubyGems library into dedicated directory, out of the default Ruby directory structure. This should enable to easily share one RubyGems library by more Ruby implementations and avoids code duplication. I did this patch since Fedora prohibits duplication of system libraries [1], which would be the case if MRI and JRuby are installed in parallel.

Thank you for considering this patch.

Vit

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Duplication_of_system_libraries

--