Issue #5617 has been updated by Vit Ondruch.

Motohiro KOSAKI wrote:
> I meant,
>  - the user use  "--with-rubygemsdir" ruby binaries, and
>  - use unpatch gems

RubyGems library is in charge where to install your gems. Here [1] is the logic and I am not touching it in this patch. That means only RubyGems library is installed into the custom location while the gems are installed into location specified by RubyGems.

> Why the gems should go into /usr/local? Who care?

It is good habit to place right content into right folders. You probably don't save your documents into /etc or /tmp just because you can. There are standards [2] which describes what should be placed where. It is definitely good idea to not intermix software installed by RPM and by you manually. Therefore there are different locations for that purposes.

Speaking as a Ruby maintainer of Fedora, it is definitely my responsibility to cultivate good habits and place software where it belongs. I understand that Ruby supports more OSes with different needs and different standards, therefore my patch does not change any defaults, but allow to support needs of my platform. Btw I am using Ruby also on Windows and there is definitely no need for such configuration option, but it definitely does not harm anybody.

[1] https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/blob/master/lib/rubygems/defaults.rb#L21-44
[2] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
Feature #5617: Allow install RubyGems into dediceted directory
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5617