Hi,

In message "Re: The face of Unicode support in the future"
    on Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:38:06 +0900, Florian Gro? <florgro / gmail.com> writes:

|Can those one-character Strings be optimized somehow? I think it would
|be nice if they could be immediate values for the raw encoding range of
|0..255. That would let you iterate char-wise over Strings in an
|efficient manner. I think it would be bad if 1024 Objects would be
|generated when iterating over a String with that length.
|
|Is it a bad idea to have immutable Strings? Are there other
|optimizations that might work better?

I'm not sure.  There's a quote that "premature optimization is the
source of all evil".  I'd rather wait until those one-character
strings become serious bottleneck.  Besides, characters in _my_
encoding would not fit in the range of 0..255 anyway.

							matz.