Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> |I don't understand what you mean here.  How is having "abc"[0] return a
> |String a better solution than having "abc"[0] return a Character?  Is it
> |less restrictive in some way?
>
> It's kinda hard for me to express in detail in English.  The definition
> of the "character" had caused difficult and deep discussion (or flame
> sometimes) among people who care about characters and encodings time
> to time.  I just want to keep away from it.
> [...]
> Any other comments or questions?

Can those one-character Strings be optimized somehow? I think it would
be nice if they could be immediate values for the raw encoding range of
0..255. That would let you iterate char-wise over Strings in an
efficient manner. I think it would be bad if 1024 Objects would be
generated when iterating over a String with that length.

Is it a bad idea to have immutable Strings? Are there other
optimizations that might work better?

Thank you.