Issue #5837 has been updated by Aaron Patterson.

Assignee changed from Aaron Patterson to Eric Hodel

Bug #5837: IO#fsync documentation typo quickfix
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5837

Author: Kyle Drake
Assignee: Eric Hodel
Category: DOC
Target version:
ruby -v: 1.9.3

The documentation IO#fsync says:

"Immediately writes all buffered data in ios to disk. Note that fsync differs from using IO#sync=. The latter ensures that data is flushed from Ruby°«s buffers, but doesn°«t not guarantee that the underlying operating system actually writes it to disk."

I believe the "doesn't not" should be changed to "does not". Fsync(2) traditionally guarantees that the operating system writes to disk, so I'm assuming that IO#sync does not and that IO#fsync does.

There is probably a better description that could be written here, but this clears up the typo for the interim.

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org