Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:41922] Re: Proposal: Bitmap Marking GC"
    on Fri, 6 Jan 2012 01:37:28 +0900, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 / gmail.com> writes:

|> No, REE uses bitmap marking all the time.
|
|I don't think it does.
|
|http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/documentation.html#_copy_on_write_friendliness

I checked REE long time ago.  So my memory is not reliable.  Sorry.
But as far as I recall, REE's switching copy-on-write-friendliness
slows down GC.

In fact, REE's GC itself is significantly slower than stock 1.8.7.
REE + Passenger is faster just because of tcmalloc + GC parameters +
less memory consumption.

|Tunable would be nice, too :)

1.9.3 has GC tuning parameters.

|> Besides that, extra
|> complexity in GC is not a good idea.
|
|True.  As long as there's no significant slowdown.

Did you see his benchmark results?  I didn't see any significant
slowdown.

							matz.