Unfortunately with scripts that need network access via an
authenticating proxy you need to store the password somewhere.

This patch also works with the login as a param to open():

open("http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa.html",
    :proxy => 'http://user:password / proxy.mycompany.com:8080') {|f|
  }

And in the UNIX world the login can be supplied on the command line
such that it's only set temporarily:

$ http_proxy=http://user:password / proxy.mycompany.com:8080 ruby myscript.rb

--
Neil Kohl