--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 01:46:11AM +0900, j.wuttke wrote:
> The simple script
>
> #!/usr/bin/env ruby.<version>
> require 'yaml'
> t=Time.now
> YAML.load_file(<path>)
> puts Time.now-t
>
> takes 30 to 40 times longer to execute
> under Ruby1.9.3 than under 1.8.7  when
> <path> points to a YAML file of about 50kB.
>
> Shall we discuss this issue here or on yaml-core ?

Here is fine.  Can you send the sample file you're using for benchmarks?

> Who is in charge of the YAML module ?

Me.

> Is there hope that we will get back the
> speed of Ruby1.8 ?

Possibly.  There is speed loss due to type conversions being made in
pure Ruby.  Syck did YAML => Ruby conversions in C.  We /could/ do that,
but I'd rather not.

Other differences include parser correctness and style.  libyaml follows
spec more closely and provides a callback system (similar to XML SAX
parsers).  We should test the libyaml evented parser speed against Syck.

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI