Hi,

In message "Re: The face of Unicode support in the future"
    on Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:52:49 +0900, Charles O Nutter <headius / gmail.com> writes:

|Here's a feature that hasn't been mentioned, so perhaps it already
|exists or hasn't been considered:
|
|* Provide a way to specify Unicode literals in Ruby scripts

We will support "\x{xxxx}" where xxxx is a hexadecimal number for a
codepoint in the character encoding of the string.  The behavior is
undefined when there's no xxxx codepoint in the encoding.

We won't introduce something Unicode specific in the future Ruby.
But it's OK for JRuby to restrict supporting encoding to Unicode.

							matz.