Here's a feature that hasn't been mentioned, so perhaps it already
exists or hasn't been considered:

* Provide a way to specify Unicode literals in Ruby scripts

Python and Java both support using the UTF-16 inline escaped
representation of a Unicode character, as in "\u####". Python also
supports specifying that strings are Unicode rather than single-byte
ISO8859 (or whatever) by specifying the string as u"". That may or may
not be necessary in Ruby, since the concept of a string sounds like it
will simply be expanded to mean "a string of characters" with
"characters" being Unicode or otherwise.

I support "abc"[0] returning something other than fixnum. I also
suppose transparent Unicode support if it's easy to force things one
way or the other when necessary.

We are considering supporting "\u####" in JRuby to simplify our
Unicode woes, so support for this in Ruby 1.9/2.0 would be welcomed.

I'm not familiar with the RCR process, so please guide me if that's
the direction I should take.

- Charlie