On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Michel Demazure <michel / demazure.com> wrote:

> Apparently, this does not work with Gtk::FileSelection, which does not
> recognize a path unless given the filename in the OS way. The doc says
> something of this kind (but only about encodings). See
>
> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Gtk%3A%3AFileSelection
>
> which says :
>
> filename=(filename)
>        > directory path, then the requestor will open with that path as its
> current working directory. The encoding of filename is the on-disk
> encoding, which may not be UTF-8. See GLib.filename_from_utf8.

Oh, that is nasty. Even Windows API that people complain that sucks,
it properly understand and handle mixture of / with \\ and manage to
open the file :P

> I think I will just use the ordinary File.join, then gsub('/', '\')
> before giving the name to FileSelection.

path = File.join foo, bar
path.gsub!(File::SEPARATOR, File::ALT_SEPARATOR) if File::ALT_SEPARATOR

A bummer, perhaps you can submit a request to ruby-gnome2 so they can
do the path normalization instead?

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17