On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Alexander Kellett wrote:

> nx is a fairly well advertised and reported on feature thats has been
> introduced on the amd processors among others.

Ok, maybe i just don't read reviews about processors...
I even thought this was an old feature.

> it prevents some of the hellishly common and trivial buffer overflow
> problems etc that are out there. oh how pathetic software remains. we
> still rely on the hardware to fix our mistakes. bah.

That's because people still insist to put "performance" that much above
security in their priorities, and also, still insist to code in plain C
using methods prone to the same old pitfalls and gotchas, and they still
get caught in those pitfalls and gotchas!

In my own paranoid opinion, this is also a plot to make life more
difficult for users of high-level languages such as Ruby in their want of
JIT systems, and also flexible C-to-Ruby bridges such as...

Ruby/DL. (there. back on topic now. ;-)

Mathieu Bouchard -=- Montr?al QC Canada -=- http://artengine.ca/matju