On Jan 6, 2005, at 4:07 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> What's this N^X thing? is that the hot new way to say UNIX? Or is it
> the
> way to say *NIX as an obscure echo to AT&T/Lucent litigations, all the
> while trying not to sound like an old fart? Anyway "N^X" to me looks
> like
> nothing at all, and I'd label it plain skriptkiddie-talk if it weren't
> generally an insult. I don't even want to know where the "^" comes
> from.
> [snipped]

nx is a fairly well advertised and reported on feature
thats has been introduced on the amd processors among others.
its the non-executable bit, and yeah. it prevents some of the
hellishly common and trivial buffer overflow problems etc that
are out there. oh how pathetic software remains. we still rely
on the hardware to fix our mistakes. bah.

Alex