Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / ruby-lang.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: The face of Unicode support in the future"
>     on Fri, 7 Jan 2005 01:35:33 +0900, Charles O Nutter <headius / gmail.com> writes:
>
> |What will Unicode support look like in Ruby 1.9/2.0 and higher? If we
> |knew how Unicode support would be presented to Ruby 2.0 clients in the
> |future, we could at least emulate this behavior now. We would prefer
> |this to enabling the Ruby String implementation in JRuby for Unicode,
> |because of the obvious encoding problems it could produce (Java being
> |UTF-16 internally and all).
> |
> |Is it possible to know what Unicode support in future Ruby will look
> |like? Any other thoughts on this subject?
>
> Nothing much.
>
>   * characters are represented by single character strings.
>   * so that "abc"[0] returns "a" instead of fixnum 97.

May I please introduce the idea of adding a Character class:

"abc"[0] should return ?a.

The Character class should be possible to implement like
Fixnum-multitons, but is IMHO needed to provide good encoding support.
Every character should be aware of its encoding and codepoint (This
will allow--at least partly--mapping of incompatible character sets).
Besides, the Character class could implement very useful methods like
#space?, #digit?, #ascii?, #to_entity etc.

Character is, I think, the best mix of the speed of Fixnums and the
usability of Strings.

> If you have suggestion for any other features, feel free to enlighten me.
>
> 							matz.

Christian Neukirchen
<chneukirchen / gmail.com>