On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Florian Gro? wrote:

> >>Isn't N^X all about that?
> > What's this N^X thing? is that the hot new way to say UNIX? [...]
> Sorry, that should have been either NX (no execute) or W^X (write xor
> execute). http://www.yotor.com/wiki/en/nx/NX%20bit.htm seems to have a
> comparison of different implementations.

Thanks. Both of those abbreviations are also new to me.

I suspect that W^X is also completely unknown outside of the OpenBSD
crowd, in addition to being new (2003), very short, and not
self-explanatory at all. The article you mention above does not describe
what W^X is either. I found this one:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2003-04/1362.html

by Theo deRaadt himself, nothing less.

Btw I don't remember hearing about OpenBSD in years... and everywhere I
ever work nowadays, it's always either Linux or MacOS 9/10. No-one seems
to bother with anything else. (Well, sometimes MS-NT 5.x, but we usually
try to sweep it under the carpet.)

Mathieu Bouchard -=- Montr?al QC Canada -=- http://artengine.ca/matju