Issue #5759 has been reported by Thomas Sawyer.

Bug #5759: flatten calls to_ary on everything
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5759

Author: Thomas Sawyer
Assignee:
Category:
Target version: 1.9.3
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3dev (2011-09-23 revision 33323) [x86_64-linux]

I often ensure that I have an array by doing:

  def foo=(x)
    @foo = [x].flatten
  end

But this has turned into a problem as of late, as it seems #flatten is calling #to_ary on every element in the array, and apparently catching the error raised if #to_ary isn't defined for that object. But that causes potential issues with objects that use #method_missing. I think #flatten should use `respond_to?(:to_ary)` to make sure an object can handle it before actually calling it.

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org