Hi,

In message "Re: The face of Unicode support in the future"
    on Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:26:47 +0900, Mathieu Bouchard <matju / sympatico.ca> writes:

|Yes, I'd like those two:
|
| * characters are represented by integers
| * "abc"[0] returns 97 instead of "a".
|
|Do I need to submit a RCR for those, or should I go for two of them ?

I think a fixnum is not enough since a character may not be
represented by a single codepoint, e.g. character composition, or
surrogation.  Besides that, a character is represented by combination
of codepoint(s) and a character set that defines codepoint.

From my observation, characters (codepoint numbers under the current
implementation) are not commonly used among Ruby users, so making them
strings would not hinder overall performance.

							matz.