Hi,

In message "Re: The face of Unicode support in the future"
    on Fri, 7 Jan 2005 01:35:33 +0900, Charles O Nutter <headius / gmail.com> writes:

|What will Unicode support look like in Ruby 1.9/2.0 and higher? If we
|knew how Unicode support would be presented to Ruby 2.0 clients in the
|future, we could at least emulate this behavior now. We would prefer
|this to enabling the Ruby String implementation in JRuby for Unicode,
|because of the obvious encoding problems it could produce (Java being
|UTF-16 internally and all).
|
|Is it possible to know what Unicode support in future Ruby will look
|like? Any other thoughts on this subject?

Nothing much.

  * characters are represented by single character strings.
  * so that "abc"[0] returns "a" instead of fixnum 97.
  * all string methods are aware of multibyte characters.
  * new method String#encoding gives character encoding name (e.g. "utf-8").
  * new method IO#encoding gives character encoding name for reading data.
  * new method IO#encoding= sets the character encoding for reading data.

If you have suggestion for any other features, feel free to enlighten me.

							matz.