http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5704

Author: Luis Lavena
Assignee: Yuki Sonoda
Category:
Target version:

Hello,

r33937 contains what was labeled 'feature' for ruby-trunk (Issue #5562), however, it was considered a bug and acknowledged by developers in #1332

Quoting Yusuke Endoh:

"Yes, text mode is still 10x -- 30x slower than binary mode.
It is reproduced not only on windows but also Linux.
Perhaps, this is the symptom because of the reason explained
in [ruby-core:26515]."

And quoting Usaku Nakamura:

"Currently, we has implemented the newline conversion as a
transcode converter, just like encoding conversion.
But the design of transcode is too general to use it such
a simple operation, as our finding.
We want to find a better mechanism which doesn't deviate
from the current design of IO..."

The patch provided by Hiroshi Shirosaki speeds up both file read and write operations under Windows to decent levels while do not deviate from current IO design.

Please consider this for backporting as we see it as Bug and not Feature.

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org