Hello Rubyists!

I am a developer on the JRuby project, and we have recently been
presented the problem of Unicode support. Obviously, being Java, we
have fairly extensive Unicode support already in the platform, but
there's the question of how to present it to Ruby scripts under JRuby.

We believe it very important to remain compatible with C Ruby,
accepting the lack of a strongly Unicode-aware String class, but we
would still like to be able to expose the Unicode abilities of Java to
Ruby scripts under JRuby without breaking C Ruby compatibility.

What will Unicode support look like in Ruby 1.9/2.0 and higher? If we
knew how Unicode support would be presented to Ruby 2.0 clients in the
future, we could at least emulate this behavior now. We would prefer
this to enabling the Ruby String implementation in JRuby for Unicode,
because of the obvious encoding problems it could produce (Java being
UTF-16 internally and all).

Is it possible to know what Unicode support in future Ruby will look
like? Any other thoughts on this subject?

- Charlie