Well Nobu,=20

in my particular case rails I18n keys damaged, when written to redis =
backend.
And while here is no strict proof that problem is caused by situation we =
discussing, I was thinking that core team should be informed about ...

the fact that encoding of Symbol instances does not obey same rules as =
Strings is a bit counter-intuitive

the result of current situation is that behavior of the code dependent =
on the characters present in Symbol and position of that Symbol within =
interpolation expression=20

o_O

With regards,
Andriy

P.S. In my rails app I just switched back to SQL storage, but really - =
code dependent on the characters within a Symbol feels =85 messy? Which =
is the reason I've decided to notify core team about the issue.=20

What is hard to understand and remember is often misunderstood and =
forgotten.=20

On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:45 AM, Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> (11/11/28 2:46), Andriy Tyurnikov wrote:
>> By default Symbols are encoded as US-ASCII,
>=20
> Yes, if it consists from ASCII 7bit characters only.
>=20
>> Strings by default are encoded with UTF-8
>=20
> No, it's not by default.
> You explicitly set the source encoding.
>=20
>> Which leads to enforcing of US-ASCII when concatenation is performed =
(when Symbol is a first member of concatenation/interpolation =
expression).