Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas wrote:
> Nobuyoshi, wouldn't &:even? be equivalent to :even?.to_proc? I just find that the example reads better this way ;)

They are different.
&expr calls #to_proc method on the result of expr, to achieve a Proc object.

> (1..10).grep(&:even?){|i|i+1}

It's a syntax error.

Feature #5663: Combined map/select method
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5663

Author: Yehuda Katz
Assignee:
Category: lib
Target version: 2.0.0

It is pretty common to want to map over an Enumerable, but only include the elements that match a particular filter. A common idiom is:

enum.map { |i| i + 1 if i.even? }.compact

It is of course also possible to do this with two calls:

enum.select { |i| i.even? }.map { |i| i + 1 }

Both cases are clumsy and require two iterations through the loop. I'd like to propose a combined method:

enum.map_select { |i| i + 1 if i.even? }

The only caveat is that it would be impossible to intentionally return nil here; suggestions welcome. The naming is also a strawman; feel free to propose something better.

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org