On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 07:24, Nobuyoshi Nakada <nobu / ruby-lang.org> wrote:

> At Thu, 17 Nov 2011 03:14:04 +0900,
> Nikolai Weibull wrote in [ruby-core:41078]:
>> Mkmf now sets CFLAGS to contain the optflags, debugflags, and
>> warnflags that Ruby was compiled with. This is, to me, completely
>> wrong. Mkmf has no business telling me what warnings, optimizations,
>> or debugging settings I should be using. And, even if it had, it
>> messes up things when I then add other flags to $CFLAGS that may alter
>> the interpretation of those flags, for example, -std=c99.

> How does it "mess up" things?

An example is that on my system, warnflags includes
-Wdeclaration-after-statement.  I don”Ēt want this warning, as I use
-std=c99, which allows such mixing of declarations and statements.
(It does not matter if -Wdeclaration-after-statement comes before or
after -std=c99, as I initially thought.)

>> Why was this change made?

> It's convenient to change just optimizations, debugging, and
> etc., on the compilation time.

I don”Ēt follow.  Can you clarify?