On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Aaron Patterson
<tenderlove / ruby-lang.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 07:36:58AM +0900, Andrew Grimm wrote:
> > I was not aiming to protect children from the f-word. My intention was
> > to ensure that parents or teachers would be less likely to choose to
> > block children's access to Ruby source code. Do you understand the
> > difference?
>
> These words are found in public libraries too, no?

At first, I thought this was a Joke issue. But it appears not to be.

Such fundamental flaws in the claim, argument, and conclusion that I'm
surprised this personal taste issue still remains open.

If we're going to celebrate Winston Smith's job of Newspeak and move
forward on The Great Code Purge, let's not do a half-assed job of it.

For example, why keep the following words from being on The List and
enjoying the party?

  grep -Prn "(stupid|spermy)" ruby-git

How debilitating to one's self-esteem to have to see "stupid" when reading
code for the first time when you're already having a difficult time
understanding it. And "assert_spermy_equal" must be changed to the more
usable and PC "assert_tilde_followed_by_greater_than_math_symbol_equal".

Maybe we need a poll to discover all words that may be perceived as
offensive to anyone, anywhere, at anytime past, present, or future.

Next on the cleanup list should be the following project as those heinously
naughty words seem to be much more prevalent than the 6,4, and 1 lines
found in MRI:

  C:\temp>grep -Prn "fuck" linux-3.1.1 | wc -l -w
       27     316

  C:\temp>grep -Prn "lame" linux-3.1.1 | wc -l -w
      124    1139

  C:\temp>grep -Prn "shit" linux-3.1.1 | wc -l -w
      119     945

  C:\temp>grep -Prn "stupid" linux-3.1.1 | wc -l -w
      162    1879

with my personal favorite being:

  linux-3.1.1/lib/vsprintf.c:9: * Wirzenius wrote this portably, Torvalds
fucked it up :-)

I personally fail to see how this issue even passes the "notability for a
ruby-core issue" test.

That said, thanks for the much needed laugh on a Monday morning. If I'm
really bored I may swing over the the Linux ML list and show them what I
found and see what response I get :P

Jon