I was not aiming to protect children from the f-word. My intention was
to ensure that parents or teachers would be less likely to choose to
block children's access to Ruby source code. Do you understand the
difference?

Andrew

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Aaron Patterson
<aaron / tenderlovemaking.com> wrote:

> Issue #5625 has been updated by Aaron Patterson.
>
> Status changed from Assigned to Third Party's Issue
>
> Parenting is outside the scope of ruby source code. =A0Offensive words ar=
e contextual, and only a parent can teach their child what these words mean=
 and whether or not it is OK to use them and in what context to use or not =
use them. =A0More over they change with time (e.g. "wtf"), country (compare=
 British and American English), language, etc. =A0Teaching these difference=
s is something only a parent has the context to do.
> Bug #5625: Remove profanity and pejoratives
> http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5625
>
> Author: Andrew Grimm
> Assignee: Eric Hodel
> Category:
> Target version:
> ruby -v: ruby 1.8.8dev (2011-05-25) [i386-darwin10.7.0]
>

> There are currently 6 lines with the f-word, 4 lines with "wtf" that were=
n't just random combinations of letters, and one line with "bullshit".

> While I personally dislike such profanity, the main benefit from getting =
rid of it is that it'd mean people of all ages could read Ruby's source cod=
e.

> There's also three lines where "lame" is used as a pejorative. Using a gr=
oup of people as a pejorative should be avoided.