Issue #5610 has been updated by markus heiler.

Oops, sorry. Not a bug, but a feature request. Hmm not sure how to change it ...
Bug #5610: Allow strings as input for Process.uid=
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5610

Author: markus heiler
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: latest 1.8.7 but perhaps also 1.9.x

On my unix system I often have a "debug" user account, belonging to the "debug" group.

With:

  Process.euid

You can find out the effective uid and you can change it via =.

  Process.euid = 522

That works. Today I tried to do this though:

  Process.euid = "debug"

It does not work because .euid= wants a string.

Would it not be better to be more flexible than that? Internally it
could be converted into a number anyway as /etc/passwd can be
read. And if it can not be converted, an exception could be raised.

At least for me that would be quite convenient, no idea if this has
merit for others, but then again it is just a proposal. :)

Thank you for reading.

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org