Issue #5601 has been updated by Eric Jacoboni.

Agree with that... For my own, i never use accents nor spaces in my filenames or directory names. But the point is that installation process fails and that Linux boxes allow now UTF-8 encoded filenames... If Ruby is not able to compile in such a situation it should be at least mentionned in the README, IMHO.
Bug #5601: Ruby 1.9.3 fails to compile in directories with accent in their names
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5601

Author: Eric Jacoboni
Assignee:
Category:
Target version: 1.9.3
ruby -v: 1.9.3-p0

Trying to compile ruby in a directory with a name containing accents fails :

To reproduce, use a directory named "Téléchargements" (as xdg-users-dir create it on some French Linux boxes).

Download the ruby tar archive, place it in this directory, untar it and then try the stanza "./configure && make" :

$ ./configure
(...)
$ make
(...)
linking miniruby
./tool/mkconfig.rb:11:in `require': incompatible character encodings: ASCII-8BIT and US-ASCII (Encoding::CompatibilityError)
   from ./tool/mkconfig.rb:11:in `<main>'

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org