Issue #5578 has been updated by Thomas Sawyer.

@kurt "Why does YAML need first class status?"

On the surface it's just more elegant. e.g.

    x = ---
        a: 1
        b: 2

vs.

    x = YAML %{
          a: 1
          b: 2
        }

But see my last post about the potential for deeper integration. In short, the later can only ever handle a string. Integrating YAML more deeply could allow for Ruby objects to be inserted directly into the YAML structure.

    ---
    time: ->{ Time.now }

Would be equivalent too

    {
      'time' => Time.now
    }

Why would you want to do that? For the very reasons we like YAML. It is an easy to read and concise format, especially when the data structure gets a little bit more nested than just a couple of elements (unlike the examples above).

Note also that JSON is a subset of YAML. So if Ruby supported YAML natively, it would also support JSON natively --just like Javascript.

Feature #5578: Embedded YAML for Ruby 2.0
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5578