Issue #5478 has been updated by George Koehler.

=begin
Ruby stdlib already has Set::[], a method that creates a literal set.

 irb(main):001:0> require 'set'
 => true
 irb(main):002:0> Set[1, 2, 3]
 => #<Set: {1, 2, 3}>

The proposed syntax <1, 2, 3> might be impossible to parse, because it conflicts with < and > operators. Consider this example:

 def c(*args); args.length; end

 p c <1, 2, 3>
 4

Current Ruby (with no set literal syntax) parses this example like so:

 p(c() < 1, 2, (3 >
                4))

If <1, 2, 3> became a set literal, then this example would become ambiguous. No parser would know whether this code has a set literal, or calls < and > operators.
=end

Feature #5478: import Set into core, add syntax
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5478