Issue #5545 has been updated by Mark Ferlatte.

Sorry, apparently failed to attach the patch to the bug. Please let me know if there's anything I should change in order for this patch to be accepted.
Bug #5545: Net::HTTP breaks with https URI objects
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5545

Author: Mark Ferlatte
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 2.0.0dev (2011-10-25 trunk 33524) [i686-linux]

uri = URI('https://example.com/index.html?count=10')
Net::HTTP.get(uri)

will currently fail with an obscure error due to Net::HTTP attempting to speak HTTP to an HTTPS service.

I believe this is a bug, and have patched lib/net/http.rb to use SSL when you use an https URI with the get and post_form helpers.

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org