On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Aaron Patterson
<tenderlove / ruby-lang.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 06:19:19AM +0900, Joshua Ballanco wrote:
> >
> > Issue #5542 has been updated by Joshua Ballanco.
> >

> > This was introduced in r29638:
> >

> >     * object.c: Make BasicObject.new accept no parameter.
> >       Revert of r26135 [ruby-core:27080], as per [ruby-core:32952].
> >
> > Was this change in BasicObject.new intentional? If so, is it intentional
> that this behavior should be different than 1.9.2? If not can we have this
> back-ported?
>
> Yes, this was definitely an intentional change.  Please see the threads
> mentioned in the commit message ([ruby-core:27080] and
> [ruby-core:32952]).

I can access the former thread, but the later [ruby-core:32952] seems to
have gone missing?

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/32952

> I cannot speak for backporting this to 1.9.2.

I suppose backporting is not a huge issue (I actually caught this due to
some less-than-optimally implemented code in our code base), however I
worry about having this kind of a semantic change between minor versions.

- Josh