C> This makes a lot of sense in the after-thought, but I would have
C> expected ruby/dl to track all references for me...

 It can't do it, for many reasons

  * it's not its job : its just an interface to dynamic library

  * this can be worst, if it do it. Imagine that a C function use an IO and
    never keep a reference on it, if `dl' mark this object and this method
    is called many times, ruby will give you an error because it will have
    too many file opened

  * you are the only person, which know which variable must be marked and
    which don't need to be marked, because you know how work the C function
    called.

Guy Decoux