On Oct 25, 1:58=A0am, Lucas Nussbaum <lu... / lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> Issue #5481 has been updated by Lucas Nussbaum.
>
> (With my Debian hat)
> I don't really like the plan of having releases of libraries both with th=
e interpreter and as separate gems. Duplicating distribution paths for libr=
aries will make things very complex since there would be no single "latest =
version" of a given library. We already have that problem with rubygems due=
 to its bundling in 1.9.

> Instead, I would prefer a plan where the interpreter no longer releases w=
ith the stdlib, but just releases with a "core lib". Then the user would in=
stall the stdlib as a set of gems.

> One benefit that this would bring is that interpreter implementations cou=
ld all use the same stdlib. Currently jruby and rubinius are both lagging b=
ehind in that regard. This would reinforce an healthy competition between i=
mplementations, and make shipping several implems easier to support.

+1.

I mean, how hard is it to add `gem install stdlib` to end of `make
install` routine? Where `stdlib` would be an (otherwise empty) meta-
package with dependencies to all standard gems.