--002215b0316246e66604afd69964

Hi all,

-Ku allows one to specify the UTF-8 as the default encoding for strings and
default_external. Check the man page.

While I believe that this is a necessary evil for the real encoding support
that ruby currently provides, it would be great to have a compile time flag
to revert back to the old behavior (or something similar). I don't think
this is implemented, but I could be wrong.

GonÝ┬lo

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 23:21, Haase, Konstantin <
Konstantin.Haase / student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> What's your $LC_CTYPE? What OS are you on?
>
> Konstantin
>
> On Oct 21, 2011, at 09:43 , Perry Smith wrote:
>
> > Ruby and I are back in counseling...  Its always the same thing with her.
>  "I'm throwing an Encoding exception!!!"
> >
> > Every time I install a gem like thin, I have to remember to go and edit
> the script to add in the -KU.  I sprinkle -KU like 12 step programs sprinkle
> mottos.
> >
> > It really has been an extremely frustrating and draining experience.
>  Ruby is no longer the love of my life.
> >
> > Rails, thin, rvm, almost nothing is really and truly ruby 1.9 compliant
> -- not really.  Not when you include all the encoding problems that are
> still very common in my life and I assume  in the life of anyone trying to
> use Ruby in any serious fashion.
> >
> > Is there a compile time option (or can one be added) that says "I don't
> care!!! -- just cram the two strings together and eat your spinach!"
>  Because, ultimately, I've yet to find anything except ruby that actually
> cares.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > pedz

--002215b0316246e66604afd69964

Konstantin<br>
On Oct 21, 2011, at 09:43 , Perry Smith wrote:<br>
&gt; Ruby and I are back in counseling... ts always the same thing wither. quot;I&#39;m throwing an Encoding exception!!!&quot;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Every time I install a gem like thin, I have to remember to go and edit the script to add in the -KU.  sprinkle -KU like 12 step programs sprinkle mottos.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; It really has been an extremely frustrating and draining experience. uby is no longer the love of my life.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Rails, thin, rvm, almost nothing is really and truly ruby 1.9 compliant -- not really. ot when you include all the encoding problems that aretill very common in my life and I assume n the life of anyone trying to use Ruby in any serious fashion.<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; Is there a compile time option (or can one be added) that says &quot;Ion&#39;t care!!! -- just cram the two strings together and eat your spinach!&quot; ecause, ultimately, I&#39;ve yet to find anything except rubyhat actually cares.<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; Thank you,<br>
&gt; pedz<br>
&gt;<br>